Summer Treats You Should NOT Share With Your Dog

August 11, 2014 in Aerowood Animal Hospital

Summer is the perfect time for picnics and barbecues, sweet treats, and cold drinks but some of your tasty snacks are not particularly pet-friendly. Here is a list of some popular summer treats that you should avoid sharing with your pup.

  1. Ice Cream: A lick or two of ice cream (that doesn’t contain chocolate of course) is fine. However, our pets do not produce a large amount of lactase in their bodies. This is the enzyme that breaks down the lactose in milk and other milk-based products. Therefore, these items can give your dog diarrhea and upset stomachs.
  2. Potato Chips: The large amount of salt from potato chips and similar snacks can cause excessive thirst and urination. In some cases, they can even cause sodium ion poisoning with the symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, and seizures.
  3. Baked Goods Containing Xylitol: Xylitol is a natural sugar substitute that is poisonous to dogs and can be found in baked goods, candy, mints, and gum. Signs of ingestion include weakness, lack of energy, vomiting, collapse, seizures and death.
  4. Lemon/Limeade: Citrus fruits contain citric acid, limonin, and oils that can cause irritation, and even central nervous system depression, if large amounts are ingested. Signs include vomiting, diarrhea, depression and photosensitization (a condition in which skin is oversensitive to sunlight).
  5. Mixed Drinks: All beverages containing alcohol are dangerous to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma and death.

When in doubt, keep these and other treats out of reach of your pet.  If you believe your dog has ingested one of these items, contact us or call the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline (888-426-4436) or the National Pet Poison Helpline (800-213-6680).

Summer Treats Dog

Print Friendly