School Supplies That Can Be Dangerous to Your Pet

August 31, 2015 in Aerowood Animal Hospital

As we transition from summer to fall, tis also the season for kids to head back to school. Parents, guardians, and babysitters who are also pet owners should be aware of the potential dangers and choking hazards that those colorful, new school supplies could pose to their furry friend. PetMD compiled a list of commonly used school supplies that are choking hazards to pets.

 

  1. Erasers
  2. Glue sticks and bottle glue
  3. Coins
  4. Action figures and other small toys
  5. Bouncy balls
  6. Crayons
  7. Markers
  8. Pencils
  9. Pens and pen caps
  10. Paperclips

 

Fortunately, these items are considered to be “low toxicity” to pets, which means they won’t cause your dog or cat serious problems unless large amounts are ingested. However, in addition to choking, these supplies can cause intestinal tears and blockages. Symptoms of an intestinal blockage include vomiting and diarrhea, refusal to eat, severe weight loss, weakness, dizziness, swelling of the abdomen, and fever. If you suspect your pet has swallowed a foreign object or is experiencing any of these symptoms, seek emergency veterinarian care.

School Supplies Pets Choke

Print Friendly