Pet Holiday Tip: Tinsel and Ribbon

December 6, 2016 in Aerowood Animal Hospital

holiday-tip-tinsel

Yes, it’s that holiday time of year again.  While you’re busy decorating, baking, wrapping gifts, and preparing your household for guests, remember to watch out for holiday temptations for your pets.  Don’t let a pet disaster turn both your and your pets’ Holiday “Ho-Ho-Ho!” into a Holiday “Oh No!”

 

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, we will highlight some tips surrounding some of the foods, decorations, and more that are key to the holiday season…but could be a danger to your dog or cat.

 

First up is tinsel and ribbon. When decorating your tree and wrapping or unwrapping gifts, keep a close eye on where you leave your leftover tinsel, string, and ribbons.  Your pet, especially cats, may find these decorations irresistible because they look like easy-to-catch, sparkly, and wiggly prey.  However, if your pet eats these types of decorations, he or she may end up with serious stomach and intestinal damage.  Swallowed ribbons and string can get tangled in the stomach or intestines.  If they are not removed, the ribbons and string can saw through the lining of the stomach or intestines, causing a life-threatening infection.  Symptoms may take a few hours or several days to appear, and include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, and decreased activity.  If you see a pet eat any string, tinsel, or ribbon, give us a call right away.  Play it safe—keep the tinsel off the tree and collect all ribbons and strings after opening your gifts!

Print Friendly