Halloween Pet Tip: Guard the Candy Bowl

October 19, 2013 in Aerowood Animal Hospital

Another Halloween pet safety tip is to guard your candy bowl or keep it out of reach of your pet. Sometimes your furry friend will not only consume the treat but the wrapper as well, which can cause intestinal blockage, bleeding, and/or perforation. If your pet throws up, has blood in the stool, or rejects food for over 24 hours, chances are they have consumed a wrapper.

In addition, sugary foods and chocolate are not good for dogs or cats. Theobromine, a substance in chocolate, can be poisonous to dogs. Sometimes dogs are able to ingest chocolate without problems, but sometimes just a small amount can cause serious health issues. This can include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity, increased thirst, increased urination, and/or increased heart rate.

Contact your vet immediately if you believe your pet has eaten these substances or a wrapper and exhibits one or more of the symptoms described.

Of course, you can make Halloween an exciting holiday for your pet as well. Serve them a pet friendly treat like those with real meat products as the first ingredient. Play with them and let them in on the day in pet-safe ways!

Print Friendly