Are Wild Mushrooms Dangerous to My Pet?

October 23, 2014 in Aerowood Animal Hospital

When it comes to mushrooms, most that are safe for people are safe for pets. However, wild mushrooms are a different story and can cause poisoning in both dogs and cats. Different species of wild mushrooms pop up during the fall and are a concern in many parts of the country. They can be found in yards, woods, and parks and can easily catch the attention of pets because of their diverse sizes, shapes, and colors.

 

The most common sign that your pet may have consumed a wild mushroom is gastrointestinal upset. Dogs and cats can begin vomiting within 15 minutes of ingestion and the sickness can last anywhere from several hours to a couple of days. Other symptoms include salivation, frequent urination, diarrhea, seizures, and periods of depression and agitation. In more serious cases, eating a wild mushroom can cause liver or kidney failure and death.

 

The best prevention is to keep your pets away from wild mushrooms. Have them removed from your yard and other areas. If you suspect that your pet has eaten a mushroom, seek veterinary care immediately. When possible, obtain a sample of the mushroom you believe your dog or cat has consumed. Identification of the species can help determine the proper treatment.

Mushrooms Wild Pets

Print Friendly